An undefeated week for Monbulk bowlers

Monbulk bowlers watch on during play.

Monbulk Bowls Club enjoyed a perfect run last week, with all three teams securing a win.

Monbulk 1 bowlers played Bayswater at home where wind and regular showers made playing conditions difficult.

Eventually, the weather conditions won out and the match finished early but enough ends had been played to get a result.

Richard Cookson’s rink controlled their game from the start and after nine ends led by 10 shots.

They soon increased this and secured the win, 21 to 13.

Andrew Bell’s rink trailed after 10 ends but then grabbed a five to put them in front.

From then on they were never headed, picking up a six on the second last end to win 23 to 13.

Eric Markham’s rink bowled well early and led by eight shots after nine ends.

The opposition then changed the length and came right into their own, winning four ends in a row to get within two shots.

But Monbulk held on to narrowly win 16 to 14.

Brian Smith’s rink had some large swings on some ends which made for an interesting game.

After 13 ends only two shots separated the teams but the Monbulk rink obtained a seven on the third last end and a six on the last end to win 28 to 14.

This meant an overall win to Monbulk, 88 to 49.

Monbulk 2 took the short trip to Upwey/Tecoma and performed in what was a close affair across all rinks.

Graeme Goller’s rink adapted to the conditions well and by the eleventh end led by nine shots.

Upwey/Tecoma then picked up nine shots over the next five ends to level the scores.

Monbulk soon steadied to win three of the last five ends and win 18 to 15.

Eric Furby’s rink won 12 of the 21 ends, but due to three multiples against went down 16 to 20.

Norma Clerke’s rink was close throughout the day with scores locked together with one end to play.

However, they weren’t able to win the last end and went down 17 to 19.

Case Broekhof’s rink got off to a slow start but finished strongly to win 22 to 17.

This meant Monbulk took the overall points by only two shots, 73 to 71.

Monbulk 3 hosted Chirnside Park and trailed the visitors early.

However, after the tea break, they edged ahead and won the overall battle, 34 to 31.