Big wins for bowlers

Eric Walsh with an arm. PICTURE: SUPPLIED

The Saturday pennant on January 16 saw Monbulk 1, who are third on the ladder, take on the second team Heathmont who were undefeated.

Overnight and morning rain meant that the Heathmont Green was a little slower than normal, but this did not deter the Monbulk side.

Brian Smith’s rink began well and picked up five shots on the 10th end to lead by seven shots. Their opponents got within three shots with three ends to play, but the Monbulk rink steadied to win 21 to 16.

Geoff Petersen’s rink bowled well early and led by six shots after 12 ends. The opposition then pegged them back, winning six of the last nine ends and ending the game in a draw, 17 shots each.

Richard Cookson’s rink had a close contest throughout with scores tied after eleven ends, but some good bowling from the Heathmont rink saw them prevail, 16 to 14.

Eric Markham’s rink had not scored by the fourth end and were six shots down. They then won the next three ends to grab the lead and by picking up some multiples won 22 to 16.

Monbulk won the overall, 74 to 65 and maintained third position on the ladder.

Monbulk 2, who were fourth on the ladder played at home against Heathmont, the top side.

Graeme Goller’s team won 11 ends to 10, picking up a couple of three’s and giving away nothing bigger than two’s.

By halfway they were seven shots up but in the back half Heathmont came back. They held onto the lead, however, winning 19 to 15.

Case Broekhof’s team won 12 ends, including four three’s and a five. They dropped one three and one five. They led most of the day and played even better in the back half. They won the rink 25 shots to 17.

Eric Furby’s team started strongly and had 13 shots on the board before Heathmont could score. Throughout the day they dropped four three’s and a five, which would usually be enough to sink a team. But their lead was too great and they finished with an eight shot win, 29 to 21.

Norma Clerke’s team had the close one in the front half. They were level, five all on the sixth, 10 all on the 13th. After that they dropped only two single shots and grew the lead with several multiples. They won the rink 25 to 12.

Overall, Monbulk won 98 shots to 65 with the four rinks up and have now moved into third place on the ladder.

Monbulk 3 played in the semi-final of the new short spring season against Bennettswood away from home. It proved a very difficult task with both rinks only winning four of the 15 ends.

Alan Brooke’s rink lost 20 to 7 and Peter Verspeek’s rink lost 30 to 5.

Mid week pennant saw Monbulk 1 play away against Mitcham on their new grass green which was a little slow.

Richard Cookson’s team led throughout the front half and won seven ends to Mitcham’s three.

Then, in the back half, the roles were reversed winning only three more ends, including a couple of good multiples, but they lost eight ends.

With three ends to go, the Monbulk rink were one shot up and that’s when Mitcham put their foot down, winning the final three ends to take out the win 29 to 24.

Ivan Baric’s team trailed throughout the front half and was nine shots down at one stage.

Then they blitzed it in the back half, only giving away two single shots. They went on to win comfortably 21 to 13.

Eric Markham’s team went into the break just two shots down, having just picked up four shots.

Then, after lunch they came out and immediately dropped a five shot multiple. After that, they held their own, but couldn’t make up the difference losing23 to 15. Overall, Monbulk lost 60 to 65.

Monbulk 2, who were third, played at home against the top of the ladder, Lilydale.

Alan Hamilton’s team won eight ends, including a three and a four, but Monbulk’s losses included a three and four four’s. They lost by 17 shots, 31 to 14.

Graeme Goller’s team also won eight ends. They trailed all day, but were still in the game, only six shots down with four ends to go, but lost 23 to 11.

Eric Furby’s team had a game of two distinct halves.

Lilydale score only once in the front half. At one stage we were 18 shots up.

Then in the back half we lost five ends in a row, but maintained the lead winning 23 to 14.

Overall, Monbulk lost 68 to 48, but have held on to third place on the ladder.

Monbulk 3 played at home against a very strong Dandenong Club and had a day they would like to forget. Bruce Cockerill’s team won seven ends and lost 29 to nine.

Graeme Seymour’s team won eight ends but gave away a couple of multiples to lose 28 to 12. Mike Harris’ team won only five ends and lost seven shots to 44.

Monbulk lost the overall by 73 shots, 101 to 28.